The Aspect Of My Life

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Urgent Care

It started with a red nose.  I woke up on Friday with a bulbous nose, red, tender and swollen.  Made the standard jokes about having an alcoholic nose and continued on with life as usual.

When I awoke Saturday morning this red rash had spread considerably.  It was alarming enough that even before making my bed I walked across the street to Urgent Care.  Good news was that it was an infection, bad news was that because it was on my face and spreading rapidly I would need IV antibiotics instead of the oral prescription I was hoping for.  Dang, how do I get myself to the hospital???

The *plan* for the weekend was that my mom was coming to get me on Sunday so I could be available when her partner has hip replacement surgery on Monday.  So with a quick change of plans they picked me up an hour later and we headed to the hospital.

It takes a lot for me to enter a hospital.  I don't have much faith in the traditional medical model and emergency rooms are the worst unless it is truly an emergency.  However, when I asked the nurse practitioner at Urgent Care what would happen if I didn't seek treatment, her response was "you could die".   Not a bad way to go, but it still had the desired effect and I once again entered the dreaded medical conveyor belt.

I slowly moved from waiting room to waiting room, getting blood work and even a cat scan.  I opted out of a tetanus shot but they were fairly persuasive regarding the cat scan.  The cat scan did rule out an abscess, but it was a totally bizarre experience and I voiced my concern that shooting iodine into your body can't be a good thing.


I spent five hours in the emergency room, mostly waiting, and was so happy to have my mom and Dan to spend the time with me.  I was not allowed to eat or drink and towards the end I was starting to get a bit irritable.  I was sent home with oral antibiotics with strict instructions to return to the hospital for IV antibiotics if the redness or swelling increased.  The diagnosis was facial cellulitis.

So here I sit at my mom's with a particularly nasty looking face and taking oral antibiotics.  Dan has been taking pictures so we can objectively review the status of my face which is a good thing because I can hardly stand to look at myself in the mirror.  It will take a lot to get me back to the hospital.

And tomorrow we go to a different hospital to begin the waiting game all over again but this time it will be Dan instead of me.

6 comments:

  1. Sorry to here about your illness, hope that you are feeling better soon.
    I agree with the dislike of hospitals, but sometimes we do neeed them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn, Woman!! I'm so glad to hear that you have taken care of yourself, even though you had to succumb to "them"; every once-in-a-while, it can be a good thing! Keep us updated...what, no pictures??!! love, vic

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you in my dislike for the whole medical scene - hospitals, doctors' offices, all the tests and drugs you must keep declining. (But I'm having a cornea transplant on Tuesday - I need to regain good vision if I want to continue traveling.

    Did they tell you what might have caused your problem? I sure hope you recover quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Gypsy, not sure what caused the problem. Something as simple as a scratch could be the culprit. It is a nasty infection and there is also the chance it will recur.

    Yo Vic, for your eyes only I will send a picture. It ain't pretty:).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am SOOOO sorry you got facial cellulitus. Believe it or not, I got the Same thing last month. it came out of NO WHERE. was in the hospital for 4 days, and they ended up doing surgury! It was CRAZY! I am back to normal now! Sending you much love and good vibes!! I photographed my face through the whole ordeal as well. It was NOT pretty! And, to make matters worse, I was stuck in the hospital for my birthday! Get better!! My thoughts are with you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there! this is such an informative post. Thank you for sharing. Cheers!

    - The urgent care braintree

    ReplyDelete