The Aspect Of My Life

Monday, June 21, 2010

Summer Solstice

Thunderbird, my Drum, has not been out in a very long time.  Since it was the Summer Solstice, there was a certain "insistence" that He be played and so I started a fire and Thunderbird began the beautiful song that always calls upon the Tribes to gather.  Who knew that a particular three year old girl would hear that song and show up to share this solstice ritual with me.

As I began to drum, my neighbor's three year old granddaughter could hardly contain herself and was soon asking if she could come and join me.  She came, pacifier in mouth, and I asked if she would like to play my "very special rattle".  This rattle was gifted to me by my dear friend Romaine who is of the Cherokee Nation and is the perfect size for a three year old.  We were soon drumming and rattling around the fire.  It was not until later that her grandmother shared with me that this particular child has Cherokee blood.  It may have been the first time that this music has touched the very blood of her Soul.

After she rattled for awhile, I asked if she would like to play the drum.  We switched and I took over the rattle and held the drum while she "played" Thunderbird.  Thunderbird is an amazing communal drum, you are allowed to use the mallet, but He sings the Song.  Everyone always loves Thunderbird and I know He is to be shared freely and widely.  It is just the energy of this particular Drum.

At the end of our beautiful ritual together, I asked this three year old if she would like a special feather, stone or shell.  She thought long and hard and decided upon a shell.  I brought out my array of sacred Shells and asked her to choose the one she loved the best.  I then placed it in a pink gauze bag, told her it was hers to keep and take care of, and sent her off to bed.

I do not know what effect this has had on this particular child's life, but for me, it was one of the sweetest Solstice's I have ever experienced.

No comments:

Post a Comment