The Aspect Of My Life

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Jan, My Neighbor

I am always so happy when my neighbor Jan shows up for the weekend.  It feels like it is the only time I have any real conversation, far from the mundane world of working and the Oregonian mountain people that have become the staple of my days.

Jan is a Stanford graduate, did some time at Harvard, and I love being able to converse on a variety of subjects.  After a long eight hour shift she greets me with a note on my door, "Nice Weather!  9:30 - Yes!", meaning the weather is once again raining, and she will be happy to join me at 9:30 PM when my shift ends for cocktails and conversation.

It is midnight before we are sated with conversation and I tell her for the umpteenth time how much I love having her as my neighbor, how much I enjoy her company and we are finally able to retire to our separate homes.

After another eight hour shift tomorrow, she will be there waiting for me, as I will be looking forward to her, and we will share our lives and stories with one another, knowing how special this time between us is and savoring every moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment