The Aspect Of My Life

Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving

Writing on the Wall
Once upon a time Riverbend was a youth hostel.  There are footprints and fingerprints left behind that attest to the many people that have passed this way.  

I am parked next to what used to be the girl's dormitory and if I sit with my back towards the road, this is what I see out my side window.  Because of the trees I couldn't quite capture the writing on the wall, but this is what is written:

Some people come into our lives and quickly go....others stay for awhile.
Those who move our souls to dance leave footprints in our hearts and we are never, ever, the same.

Because the weather turned so cold for Thanksgiving, we set up the tables and food in this building.  I couldn't even count how many people showed up...20, 30?  The tables were laden with three turkeys, two hams, three pumpkin pies, two apple pies, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes and scalloped potatoes, just to name some of the food we piled onto our plates.  There were people from Colorado, Texas, New Jersey and even Scotland.  Such a bounty of beautiful people.

And so I found it quite fitting that we would all end up in this building with those particular words written on the wall, people coming into our lives and quickly going.   And that the workampers would linger even longer, hesitant to leave and take the few feet back into our own singular homes, staying awhile.

And I thought of all the many people that have moved my soul to dance and am thankful for those encounters. I trust that you know who you are because our meeting means I will never, ever be the same.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Susan:
    Some while back I sent you a few tips when you
    were having cell and generator issues. I may have dismayed you by also telling you that the
    photos on your blog could not be opened to full
    screen size. Several weeks later, I read your
    blog from start to end and with the exception
    of a few photos in Sept., they all opened to
    full screen size - so I apologize. You have
    created a candid, warm and very readable blog,
    and I very much enjoyed the writings and all of the beautiful pictures. Thanks very much.
    Best to you, Ingo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very welcome Ingo, and no apology necessary.

    ReplyDelete