The Aspect Of My Life

Saturday, October 24, 2009

My power-less awning

It's true what they say, there is a steep learning curve when it comes to RV life and learning, and I have heard it takes around two years.

I came back from my Maiden Voyage feeling very confident after having learned so much more than I knew when I headed out on Wednesday, October 21, 2009. I had a wonderful time driving the twisty, turning roads out to Lorane, enjoyed driving through downtown Cottage Grove, and thoroughly impressed myself by backing into my parking space on Amy and Jason's land. I was fed organic food from the greenhouse and feted like I was a guest from a foreign country, which I guess in some aspects, I was. Jason was an amazingly patient teacher and we went through every outside storage bin and discussed all the many questions that have been plaguing me until I felt I had this all under control. That was, until today.

Today is Saturday, just two days after returning with all my new found knowledge. And today, I am feeling totally lost again. And out of my league, and inept and overwhelmed. All because of the power awning that I have been bragging about to everyone, the one that was one of the "best" features of Minnie Winnie and the one I was most pleased with. Funny how all that can turn around in one day.

Yesterday it poured and poured and poured rain in Eugene. I spent the day "in-town" at the pool and doing laundry and dodging in and out of rain deluges. I didn't pay much attention to my awning that I had left out all day, other than to be thankful it was protecting me from the rain as I brought the laundry in from the car and was glad it was keeping me dry when I sat outside. When I gave it some further attention this morning, it was sagging from the accumulation of rain and leaves from the previous day. I poked the awning with a broom and buckets of water and leaves came gushing down. And now, my awning no longer has any power

My neighbor, the one who fed me brownies, helped me hose off the inch thick pile of sodden leaves on the awning but it still has no power. He helped me manually roll it up and next week's chore is finding someone who can service the power awning that now has no power. And now I have no awning. And now the world does not feel as safe as it did just two days ago.

So, I am still in the learning process, making mistakes and learning something new each day. I need to purchase a ladder and a nozzle for my water hose so I can be a bit more self sufficient next time around. I hope someday I can repay the kindness, generosity and patience all these many people have shown me as I stumble my way through this alien world. I hope someday I am the knowledgeable one and some novice somewhere needs my help and advice and I will remember these days and know how far I have come.

No comments:

Post a Comment